Traveling to Canada? Here’s What You Need to Know

Travel to Canada

If you plan to travel to Canada, you will want to check the current regulations and restrictions regarding travel. These can be different for outbound and return travel. In addition, you may need to provide additional documentation when connecting flights. For details, visit Travel and Tourism Canada. Alternatively, you can contact your local embassy, high commission, or consulate to find out what you need to do to travel to Canada.

Although the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) no longer recommends avoiding travel to Canada because of the high Covid-19 incidence rate, it’s still important to follow certain guidelines. The best way to reduce your risk is to stay home and avoid contact with travelers who may have the virus. However, the good news is that you can still travel to Canada for leisure purposes.

You should also know what vaccinations you should take. Rabies is still present in some dog species in Canada, so if you are planning on working with wildlife in Canada, you must get vaccinated. If you are a veterinarian, animal handler, field biologist, or lab worker working with mammalian specimens, it is essential to take a rabies vaccination before traveling to Canada.

When traveling to Canada, you must have a valid immunization record. If you’re traveling with a child, you should consider getting the COVID-19 vaccination. If you have not received this vaccine, you must undergo a quarantine period of 14 days at your own expense. You must upload proof of your vaccination to ArriveCAN app 72 hours before your trip. Otherwise, you may be refused entry to Canada.

You should also check for any special requirements for your passport. If you are a US citizen, you must have a valid passport and a valid US visa. If you are a non-US citizen, you will need a valid Canadian entry visa. You can check for this on the Government of Canada’s website.

The eTA is a quick and easy process that can be completed online. It costs $7 Canadian and requires a valid passport, an e-mail address, and credit card. The eTA will be linked to your passport and is valid for five years. If you don’t have an e-TA, you may be denied entry and will have to apply for a new one. Be careful of scam websites that claim to provide e-TA help.

If you’re planning to study in Canada, you must obtain a study permit. When you enter Canada, you must declare all currency that is worth more than $10,000. It’s also important to declare any animal or food products that you’re bringing with you. You’ll also need to present your Letter of Introduction. The officer will also need to confirm that all personal information on your Letter of Introduction is accurate. If the information is wrong, it can take months to have the document corrected.

You must be aware of Canadian laws regarding firearms. The country has stricter regulations than the United States, and violating the laws can lead to imprisonment or prosecution. Therefore, before traveling to Canada, make sure that you don’t have any firearms. If you are traveling with firearms, you must declare them in writing and obtain a Temporary Firearms Borrowing License. Bring these documents in triplicate and present them at the border.