Things You Need to Know Before You Travel to Canada

Whether you are going to Canada for business or pleasure, there are a few things that you need to know. The first is that you should apply for an electronic travel authorization (eTA) before you book your flight. This is to help ensure that you do not incur fines or have any problems while you are traveling. You should also know about the vaccinations you need to have, as well as the quarantine requirements before you go. Lastly, it’s important to remember that you don’t need to have a visa to enter Canada, if you are a US green card holder.

Children under 5 are exempt from vaccination requirements

During the past couple of years, the Canadian Government has begun to lift the COVID travel restrictions. However, unvaccinated Americans still can’t cross the border.

As of October 1, 2022, Canadians will no longer be required to prove they’ve received a COVID-19 vaccine. In fact, the country is actively working to secure safe and effective vaccines. In addition, there are limited exceptions for travellers who have not yet received a COVID-19 vaccine.

The government has also announced that it’s removing a few other vaccination mandates. In particular, the requirement for a rapid antigen test for all travelers is no longer necessary.

Additionally, the requirement to wear masks on airplanes will also no longer be required. This is a good thing because it’s cheaper and easier than having to wait in line to have a PCR test done.

US green card holders do not have to worry about getting a visa to enter Canada

Unlike visiting other countries, United States green card holders do not need a visa to enter Canada. However, they may need additional documentation for their trip.

Depending on the situation, green card holders might need to apply for a temporary reentry permit. This is especially true if they’ve been out of the country for more than one year. You will need to check the embassy website of the country you plan to visit to find out whether or not you need a visa.

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) allows you to enter the United States for up to 90 days without a visa. You may also be eligible to apply for an EAD work permit. These are not visas, but are a way to legally work in the U.S.

Accepted Covid-19 vaccines in Canada

Currently, the Government of Canada has seven different accepted COVID-19 vaccines. These are approved by Health Canada’s independent drug authorization process. The list is not complete and will likely be expanded in the future.

The Government of Canada is working to secure safe COVID-19 vaccines. For that purpose, the Ministry of Health has established specialized teams to examine vaccine submissions. These teams have expertise in toxicology, epidemiology and clinical medicine. They review each submission and confirm that the vaccine is safe and effective. They also monitor the vaccine’s safety after approval.

Currently, the Ministry of Health accepts proof of vaccination in the form of a receipt. This document is stamped with an individual’s name and the date of vaccination. If the receipt is no longer valid, the applicant may replace it with a digital vaccine certificate.

Apply for an eTA before booking a flight

Getting an eTA before booking a flight to Canada can save you time and hassle in the airport. There are many companies that offer help, but make sure you choose wisely.

An eTA is an official form of travel authorisation that confirms your entry into Canada until a prescribed date. It is valid for five years and is required for travellers from select visa-required countries. You can only apply for an eTA at the official site of the Government of Canada.

The eTA is not a passport, but is instead linked to your passport. When you board a flight to Canada, you will need to present your eTA with your passport. This is not a complicated process, and it should only take you a few minutes.

Quarantine for travel to Canada

Upon arriving in Canada, all travellers must quarantine themselves for 14 days. You may be asked to isolate yourself from other people, or you might be required to complete relevant PCR testing. This is done to protect the public from a communicable disease. You should follow the instructions of the local public health authority.

If you are a fully vaccinated traveller, you will be exempt from the new testing requirements. However, you still must provide proof of a negative test or vaccination within 72 hours of your arrival in Canada.

If you are a non-vaccinated traveller, you will be required to complete a self-assessment of your COVID-19 symptoms. Then, you will be required to submit the appropriate vaccination or symptom report to the government. If you do not provide the required information, you can be fined up to CAD$750,000. You can also be denied boarding on a flight.