How to Travel to Canada

Located in North America, Canada is the world’s second largest country by area. With ten provinces and three territories, it covers 9.98 million square kilometers, and is surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Pacific Ocean, and the Arctic Ocean.

Documents required

Whether you’re traveling to Canada for business or pleasure, you’ll need to carry proper identification. Depending on your country of origin, you may be required to show proof of citizenship, as well as other documents.

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is responsible for checking your passport and ensuring that you have a valid visa. If you’re not sure if you need a visa, you can check with a travel agent or with your Canadian Embassy or High Commission.

To get an idea of what you’ll need, check with the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website. They provide details on the different types of travel documents and their corresponding uses.

You may also want to download the ArriveCAN app, which offers a feature called Advance Declaration. The app lets you submit your customs and immigration declaration in advance. It does not require you to provide vaccination information or other information that can cause you to be detained.

If you’re a Canadian citizen, you don’t need to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). However, if you’re a foreign national, you will need to carry proof of status and carry a valid passport.

COVID-19 measures for cruise ships have been lifted

Earlier this month, the Canadian government announced that it will remove COVID-19 restrictions for visitors to Canada, beginning Oct. 1. In addition, travelers will no longer need to be vaccinated or use the ArriveCAN service.

The decision is a major step forward in Canada’s efforts to prevent the spread of the disease. The new rules will allow Canadian travellers to visit countries with lower death rates and healthier populations.

According to the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), it’s recommended that all travelers are up to date on their COVID-19 vaccines. They also advise that travelers should consult with their health care provider before travelling.

Passengers traveling on a cruise ship may be exposed to specific COVID-19 risks. For more information, please read CDC’s guidance below.

Before boarding a cruise, travellers should inform the flight attendant or their cruise line employee of any COVID-19 symptoms they may have. This will help the cruise ship staff ensure they take the proper actions.

Food and water standards

Those traveling to Canada will want to check out the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) website for a comprehensive list of permitted foods and drinks. They also offer an Automated Import Reference System (AIR) that allows consumers to verify the dietary requirements for foods and beverages they’re interested in purchasing.

The CFIA has a long standing partnership with Health Canada, and both organizations are actively working to modernize the federal food regulatory framework. As part of the Agri-Food and Aquaculture Regulatory Review (AFAR), CFIA is looking at updating the country’s food labelling regulations. The government has proposed a number of measures to help grow the economy and foster business growth. In fact, the FPI initiative forms part of the Fall Economic Statement.

As part of the aforementioned Agri-Food and Aquaculture Regulatory review, the CFIA released a pre-publication of its proposed new food labelling regulations. The pre-publication is the logical next step in the modernization of the food regulatory framework. The pre-publication was based on consultations with the CFIA’s stakeholders.

Extending your stay in Canada

Whether you are coming to Canada for business or a vacation, you will need to apply for an extension if you want to stay longer. You can do this by applying for a Visitor Record. This will allow you to stay in Canada for a period of up to six months, although the length of your stay will be determined by the Canada Border Services Officer.

If you have a Visitor Record, you will not need a new visa to enter Canada. If you have a valid study permit, your dependents will also have a Visitor Record. However, you will need to apply for an eTA for your family members, if you want them to have legal status in Canada.

You can also apply for a Temporary Resident Visa, which is an official document issued by the Canadian visa office. This is available for foreign nationals who do not have a stamped passport. You must apply for this visa before you leave your home country.